WELCOME TO MUSIC AT SHS!
Our main aim is to provide musical activities and experiences of the highest standard that are inclusive to all students and from which they can all benefit and learn.
The department is housed in a purpose built Performing Arts block, with two generous-sized class rooms.
The rationale behind this project is to strip away some of the complexities and inconsistencies surrounding transition/transfer from Year 6–Year 7. It uses music to bridge the transition divide, with a focus on developing then building upon the instrumental/ vocal skills and experiences of the students. The emphasis is on encouraging and enthusing students to collaborate practically to create a piece of music based on a song that should be familiar to them from their primary schools.
• Sing a range of songs in different styles, in unison and in 2 parts
• Compose music individually and in small groups, using different notations
• Play an instrument in whole class performances, including keyboards, recorders or own instrument
• Rehearse and perform solo and ensemble pieces, using voices, percussion and other instruments, for assessment. Some work will be videoed or recorded
• Learn about the music and culture of Italy with a focus on Vivaldi, the violin and the Four Seasons concerto
• Listen to more music from the BBC Ten Pieces and respond creatively through a range of arts and skills
• Find out about music from around the world with a focus on folk music of different cultures and make a presentation to the class
• Compose in a range of styles, including descriptive music and song forms
• Perform solo and ensemble music of different styles and genres
• Create a radio programme demo with a focus on current listening trends of peer group
• Find out about the history of pop music 1950 – 2010 and cover a classic pop song in an ensemble performance
• GCSE taster topic – Film music – compose music for a scene from a film
• Develop and refine performance skills leading to end of key stage assessment
• Independent learning - revisit a favourite topic and complete extension work